Cars always Thrills

Best Deals

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Tata Tiago Automatic - The Untold Truth Personal Experience And Ownership Review

Nowadays everyone is praising Indian car manufacturer Tata Motors for their good, value for money cars. I totally agree with them and I do support Tata motors, but not blindly. I brought Tata Tiago on 11th February 2019 and sold it on 25th October 2019. Want to know the reason? Read this post till the end! I will cover the pros and cons as well.


As an Indian buyer usually do, I also went to youtube for search. I found Tiago XZA (automatic version ) appealing. Without spending any time, me and my dad went to Tata Dealership. We booked a grey color Tiago XZA nov-18 model as we were getting a 50k discount also. Ok before you will go and comment that " you are a car enthusiast you should be knowing that amts are bad " Me and my dad took a test drive of Tiago XZA and found no issues at all! It was running pretty good considering its price. After the test drive, we continued further procedure and paid a final amount of  6.52 lakhs INR. We were happy, one new member in our garage. Mr. Yuvraj Singh Paygude, CRM of Bafna motors, Tathawade, Pune was very helpful to us. Thanks sir for your support.
That happiness of a new car was on our mind for more than a month as it is common for every Indian buyer. They neglect any issues in new cars as they got one thing in their mind fitter "its a new car, so no issues." Two months gone, even Tiago didn't give many issues to us. But one day on an incline what we noticed our car was going back despite being automatic it was going back. Maybe we got a taste of good automatics that was the reason for it. But it was not the only issue. Sometimes car was not giving proper throttle response. For eg. in 25% throttle car should only 25% throttle response but it was sometimes giving 0% response and sometimes 100% response. This was the serious one. Took car to Tata Authorised service center for more than 20 times, changed fuel pump, ECU update accelerator pedal position sensor replacement. Nothing worked out. Believe me, I never took that car on freeways/highways. Reason, it was not at all fun to drive. I was afraid what if I am in the middle of overtaking and suddenly there is a power drop...it can be deadly. What I understood that this thing is having a gearbox issue. But wait my friend, this is not the only issue. That 1.2 L engine sucks at driving. I was getting mileage return of 11kmpl. Polo GT TSI gives better fuel economy. Refinement is NOT AT ALL present. Vibration in a car is of another level though vibrations are not there every time. As I already mentioned gearbox is the lowest quality possible. Every time you will jerks. I was wondering why there was not such an issue in Test Drive car? Well, this is still a mystery. After getting frustrated, we finally sold it for 1lakh loss. This was my experience with Tiago. One thing worth mentioning here

Now let us talk about some pros and cons-
Sweet thing first, so Pros are-
1. Segment best audio system- Stock audio system will AMAZE you in its sound quality. 4 speakers and 4 tweeters did a great job in Tiago.
2. Driving comfort - Steering is feather-lite! You will never feel tired. Never took Tiago to high speed so can't comment on high-speed stability.
3. Boot space - Boot space is enough if you want to travel in the city only.
4. Build quality - Build quality is superb. Once a honda city rammed my Tiago in the parking spot, nothing happened just bumper lock got broke.


Now its turn of Cons-
1. AT gearbox- As this whole blog is on account of my personal experience, the automatic gearbox is of the worst quality possible.
2.Space - Rear space is not good. It is fine for two people. Legroom is good, under-thigh support is not at all present, Tall people will face brushing of their hair.
3.Refinement- The petrol engine is not refined. It sounds like a remote control car. Vibrations are around the corner when idle.

These are the pros and cons I felt. I would suggest you instead of taking a demo of the test drive car, see your car and drive it a bit in a safe area.  This is my experience with the Tata Motors flagship car TIAGO. I hope you liked you. Please don't forget to share and comment.

Thanks for reading
Shaurya Sharma, Author

3 comments:

  1. You lacks knowledge about the product, all carsc comes with amt gearbox has these flawas. Its not an issue rather a limitations of the technology which comes at a cost.

    You won't get a CVT gearbox for this price. So

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own 2017 XZA Tiago... The main problem with Tiago / Tigor AMT is that it sleeps sometimes for quite long time than expected from a regular AMT. I think engine tuning with gearbox was not done properly. I drove Nexon AMT and that is much refined AMT than Tiago / Tigor. I am not sure if they have refined the tuning in 2020 XZA Tiago or not.

      Delete
    2. Nexon comes with a much high powered turbo equiped engine which will obviously will have better performance. Thats who you justify the price.

      Compare tiago with it's segment.

      Delete